Do you ever have a little something that you want to give to someone but need to dress it up just a teeny bit? And do you never have the "right" gift bag? Well, today's post will show you how you can take an ordinary shopping tote of any size and dress it up in just five minutes!
Take a look –
I keep a variety of plain brown and white shopping totes around specifically for this sort of thing; you can often get packages of them at places like the big box craft and home stores very inexpensively. Here's how to whip one of these up in an instant:
1. Take whatever piece of cardstock you want to use, place the tote on top of the cardstock in the center and trace around the bottom with a pencil.
2. Using your Simply Scored Scoring Tool, score on those pencil lines from edge to edge of the cardstock.
3. Snip in from the edges to the traced shape on whatever is the longest side of the piece of cardstock and fold in these sides to make a little box shape (you can trim the "box" at this point to make it tidy). 4. Once you have trimmed it up, unfold it flat and stamp all over.
5. Fold it up again and use your Crop-A-Dile to punch holes where the handles attach to the bag (just hold it up to the bag and make a pencil mark); using your Paper Snips, cut between the two holes on each side.
6. Slide your topper over the handles of the tote and adhere the flaps.
7. Add a label or some embellishments if you want and stand back and admire your custom made tote topper!
If you do this a lot, like I do, you might want to consider making a paper pattern for the various sizes of the totes you use the most, making this project even FASTER to put together. I now NEVER send anything out of this house without some sort of dressing up and I love that I can customize this project to the gift, the recipient, the season – anything!
So think – how many times could YOU use this quick and easy idea? How many gifts do you have to put together this time of the year that could do this for? Check out your supplies and give me a call for anything you might need to order now to have on hand to be able to be the best gift giver ever!
Very Vanilla Cardstock, Item #101650
Soft Suede Cardstock, Item #115318
Simply Scored Scoring Tool, Item #122334
Paper Snips, Item #103579
Delicate Doilies, Item #122590
Teeny Tiny Wishes, Item #115370
Soft Sude Classic Stampin' Pad, Item #115657
Big Shot Die Cutting Machine, Item #113439
Square Lattice Embossing Folder, Item #119976
Lots of Tags Sizzlits Die, Item #114508
Small Oval Punch, Item #120908
Early Espresso Quilted Satin Ribbon, Item #124104